Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Been playing A LOT of poker

My usual night consists of 3 tables of $50 NL on Party. Of course, there's always the bad beats, the bad runs, etc., but typically I can walk every night up between $75-$100 dollars. Not too bad. I would love to make more than that, but for some reason, it seems that the longer I play, the worse my cards get - especially late into the night. Not to mention, the players in the middle of the night get crazy....and I mean crazy. You do not see a flop without a raise, then you don't see a turn without a big raise and you definitely don't see a river without an all in. Now, usually I don't mind that kind of play, but for some reason, it just seems that I either do not get cards that warrant me staying in or I get sucked out at the end. Either way, I just tend to give my money back at the end of the night. So, I have really time limited myself to just a few hours a night, get my $100 and walk away.

Last night, I was into my 3 tables and felt like getting some tournament action. I got into the $9+$1 Super Weekday Qualifier on Party. 400 players. Top 22 get freerolls into the Super Weekday. I really feel like I am a good tournament player and really stick to the "get your money in if you are in the lead" only to get popped at the end - all in, with a river suckout. I can't shake that. Well, last night, somehow, someway, things changed and I was able to coast my way to a 7th place finish - which doesn't mean much, because after the top 22 were locked down, everyone just started going all in every hand - I did the same, just won a few to get to 7th. I really played well though or at least felt like I did. Made the right moves at the right times. I still believe though that in a big tournament, you can be good, but you really have to get "lucky" 3-4 times, probably more, to get into the money, even more if you are going to win. I had 2 of those instances last night that really stick out to me.

Dealt AKoff (Ace of spades) on the button, one MP limp, I make it 4xBB to go, small folds, big calls, MP folds. Flop comes all spades, 10s being the highest (10, 4, 2, if I remember correctly). Big goes all in, which at the time was a significant amount of chips - @6K. We were dead even, I was over probably less than 100 chips. I thought and thought and thought - really was hoping for that free card, but could not for the life of me think what he had. What would he call me with? KQ with a K of spades? KJ? No idea. I finally put him on one of those two with the K of spades and just trying to buy it, so I called. He turns Q-10 of spades for the made flush. Ouch. Big ouch, but I still have outs. Turn - a spade. I take the pot and take over the table chip lead. Good pot, probably a terrible call, I just couldn't see betting an all in on a made flush. A terrible read, but it worked out. Lucky call on my part.

I cruise for a while, about 100 players left, I am sitting on @13K of chips at this point - a little over the average. Dealt 55 (presto) in middle position. 3 limpers and I limp in as well - 5 in the pot. Flop comes 7,5,2 rainbow....very nice. Checked to me from the BB, I bet half the pot, drop, drop, drop, call from BB (who is about even with me chipwise). Hmmm.......okay. Turn is a 2 (2 same suit on board now). Veeeeeery nice. Checked to me, I bet half the pot, trying to milk this guy, he comes over the top of me all-in. Huh? What the?!? Only thing I could think he had was a 3rd 2 and was trying to scare me. Overpair? Overcards? I had no idea, but really thought I was golden. Took me all of 5 seconds to run the cards through my head, but just knew I was good.......but I was all-in on this call. Call and he turns pocket 7's. Full boat. DAMMMMMIT!!!!!! What the?!? I know I am a retard, but I never saw that coming. Soooooooo, guess what comes on the river? The case 5. Thank you very much. Completely lucky. Bad call made good by the Poker Gods. Unreal. I even typed sorry in the chat. I was already getting out of my seat.

Anyway, coasted from then on....I had plenty of chips and basically folded every single hand until I got into the money. Nice win, but definitely could not have gotten it done without those 2 suckouts. Like the man said, "that's poker".

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're more tnah lucky!!!!!!!!!!!! i've had some situations like that, but that with 5555..it's something..the thing like you think that you surely will win or loose is very intresting. read one poker article, from some poker tales, and you will understand what am i talking about.

March 14, 2005 at 6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man, you should check out this new site vegas007.com. its a cool new 3D graphics website.

December 7, 2005 at 2:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » » »

February 22, 2007 at 12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it film editing schools

March 14, 2007 at 11:16 PM  
Anonymous Victor Chandler Review said...

wow what a great story! You have better luck than I do when it comes to poker !

December 18, 2009 at 10:41 AM  
Anonymous טקסס הולדם said...

Thanks for the story man.

April 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home